DIGITAL PULSE ANALYZER
Digital Pulse Analyzers provide information on arterial wall stiffness and determines the biological age of arteries in less than 3 minutes. FDA cleared, user-friendly, non-invasive DPA devices use a finger probe to observe the changes in pressure, blood flow, velocity and profile throughout the whole pulse wave.
Aging and disease states associated with an increase in cardiovascular events alter the physical characteristics of blood vessel walls and impair the pulsatile function of arteries. The pulsatile flow is defined (http://www.rwc.uc.edu/koehler/biophys/3d.php) as that portion of the cardiac cycle controlled by the Autonomic Nervous System which is the part of the nervous system that does not require the brain’s involvement in order to function.
Impaired pulsatile function of arteries provides important predictive and therapeutic information beyond that provided by traditional blood pressure measurements.
Measurements With the Meridian DPA
- Pulse Rate
- Ejection time (Etc)
- Pulse Height (PH) – Pulse amplitude
- Ejection Elastic Index (EEI)– indicator of Left Ventricle ejection and elasticity of large arteries
- Dicrotic Dilation Index (DDI)- indicator of small artery compliance
- Dicrotic Elastic Index (DEI) – peripheral vessel elasticity (arterioles to veins)
- Software program to measure Heart Rate Variability (HRV)